When it comes to redesign or a complete spruce-up, users have become more advanced than what we were just a few years ago. This requires that a viewer of your website has the best experience.
Its important to remember that a viewer will only return to your site if the experience has been good. If your site takes too long to load, has a lot of scrolling images, flashing text, the viewer will choose NOT TO return.
The main thing to remember is to do is “put yourself in the viewer’s shoes”. What are your likes, dislikes, what site do you frequently visit, what do you like about that site. Remember not to copy someone’s design just because you think it looks “cool”.
Here are a few things that can help you design or redesign your website real estate to keep people coming back for more:
- Make your site easy to read. If the characters are too small or too big, the viewer needs to then create an action on their end to re-size them, thus, causing a bad viewer experience. Your content needs to be easy to read. A viewer should be able to skim through your content and get a good idea of what you’re trying to achieve. Make your content easy to understand and a treat to read.Give the viewer an experience they will never forget. Nothing is more important to a viewer that a good usability experience. A viewer may forget a good experience, but will always remember a bad experience. They will then tell others about that experience, and in today’s day and age, where everything can be tweeted and facebooked, you will not stand a chance.
- When writing be to the point, and get rid of everything that is unnecessary.
- Use a lot of bullet points, numbered lists and apply the right kind of formatting.
- Make sure your site is readable, use tools available on the internet to make your site more readable.
- Use images but don’t overdo it. You do not want to confuse a viewer with too many images and do not use a lot of animations……we are no longer in the 90s. Using a lot of Flash can also slow down your website, giving a viewer another bad experience.
- Lastly, remember the viewer should not need to click too many times. Design your website to have as many pages as you like, but reduce the amount of clicks to get to a certain point. Create a sitemap, so if something is not easy to find, a viewer can go to the sitemap and just click to it.
One other thing to remember when designing or redesigning a website is, write great content, use good keywords, this will help to improve your rankings on search engines.